Inspired by a legacy:
Come join us for the 4th Annual Clermont version of Pittsburgh’s famous Dirty Dozen Bicycle Ride/Race. This is an event my Uncle Danny Chew and Uncle Tom started up in the 1980’s in which riders ride around all the steepest hills in Pittsburgh which include hills of 1/4-1 mile long of 25-37% grades. Some of the hills include cobble stones, switchbacks, and other technical aspects like starting on top of hill then going down full speed then racing up the top of the next hill. This event will start at 8:00am and conclude around 2:00-3:30pm and include two SAG stops with espresso and Hammer Nutrition. Post event will include awards-prizes with recovery drinks and cold beer! Professional SAG support and complimentary photography will be provided by Bearded Bike Doc.
In Clermont, we don’t have anything near as steep or challenging as the coveted Pittsburgh hills, but I have mapped out 18 of the steepest hills in the area. For those that are not local, you may be surprised to find there are a lot of other challenging hills outside of Sugarloaf Mountain Road!
The theme of the ride is riding easy (neutral) as a group in between the hills and racing bottom to top of the hill for points. The top 10 riders will score points and the rider with the overall highest points will win the race. There will be categories for the Men and Women racers and if there is at least 40 people registered, we will include age group and/or weight class brackets.
Categories and Styles:
- Women and Men’s award’s for top 5 Overall
- Competitive and Non competitive categories offered
- Additional age categories and weight classes if minimum field of 40 riders are in attendance
- KOM style competition racing bottom to top of each hill with a road race “mass start” format
- Rolling start into each hill with select hills from stand still with whistle blow signaling riders to race bottom to top
- Neutral-Easy riding in between each hill
18 of the Steepest Hills in Clermont!
- Hills averaged 8-12% grade with max gradients up to 15%
- 59.3 mile hill route (Ridewithgps route)
- 4,000+ feet of climbing
- 2023 Clermont Dirty Dozen Route Overview
- Top 10 on each hill score points (10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1)
- Sugarloaf Mountain Grand Finale with bonus points (15-13-11-9-7-6-5-4-3-2)
- Special “King and Queen of the South” award to top riders for first 5 hills south of State Road 50
2023 Clermont Dirty Dozen List of Hills
Rolling SAG Support and Stops:
- Full SAG Support with professional mechanic
- 2 SAG stops with drinks, snacks, and restrooms available
- Espresso on board SAG vehicle at stops!
- Hammer Nutrition for riders fuel source to conquer the hills!
Click here or above^ and use referral number 298698 and say Steven Perezluha referred you for 15% off your first order^
- Epic Cycles World Clermont
- 528 8th Street Clermont, FL 34711
- 7:00am-7:40am) Registration/Check in at Epic Cycles (Parking on street nearby)
- 7:45am) Pre-ride briefing
- 8:00am) Roll out
Prizes and Awards:
- Top 5 men and women overall will receive awards
- King and Queen of the South Award
- Team award for most points for a team of 4
- BikeReg Registration Link
- $59; $69 Race Weekend
- Group/Team Discounts: $200 (team of 4)
- 50 Rider Max Registration Count!
Pre-Registration (Race Weekend):
- $59 Single Rider Entry
- $200 Team of 4 Entry
*All transactions include a PayPal fee of 4%. Avoid PayPal fee by paying $59 or $200 via one of the following methods:
- Venmo (@Steven-Perezluha)
- Zelle (Stevenacrossamerica@gmail.com)
- Cash App ($StevenPerezluha)
- PayPal Friends and Family to (StevenPerezluha@cfl.rr.com)
12-11-22 Race Day Registered Riders
Clermont Dirty Dozen Hill Climb Flyer